The East Bay Center for the Blind is a membership organization – our members are the backbone of our community and are essential to the organization’s decision-making process. We have two different kinds of members:
- Active Members are able to vote at Business Meetings, and are able to hold elected office in the organization. They are usually people who are blind or visually impaired and are actively engaged as organizers or participants in Center activities and events.
- Associate Members are Center friends, volunteers, and community members who support the organization, but are not necessarily themselves blind or visually impaired. Associate Members cannot vote or hold office, but they are appreciated as valued members of our community, and are warmly welcomed as organizers or participants at Center activities and events.
Anyone who is blind or visually impaired is welcome to participate in Center activities, classes, and programs. You do not need to be a member in order to participate. However, for those who like what they find at the Center and want to take an active role in leading and supporting our community, we invite you to become a member.
Applying for Membership
We welcome and encourage those who are interested to apply for membership. Because membership carries with it important responsibilities, we have a number of membership requirements that need to be satisfied. These include:
- Applicants must be sponsored by an existing Center member;
- Applicants must have attended one or more Center events;
- Applicants must be recommended by the Membership Committee and approved by the Board;
- Applicants must pay annual dues of $20 before they can become a Member.
To begin the application process, please complete the Membership Application Form.